Wednesday 7 September 2011

The Day That Kept Giving and Giving...

Today started at about 6 a.m. after very little sleep... anticipation of what I needed to do before leaving for our trip and the feeling that I might not get everything done in time, was creeping up the duvet... darn it, I threw back the duvet and bounded over to the window that had been rattling iritatingly all night due to the strong winds... and shut it firmly, locking it up knowing nothing could get in and even more so, not the wind!!

I rushed downstairs and swiftly put the kettle on, a couple of caffeine-laced spoonfuls of coffee and piping hot water later, I was well on the way to feeling somewhat normal and then it hit me... this was no ordinary day.... this was going to be a very special, a very exciting day... suddenly I'd got back my tastebuds and realised I'd put much too much coffee in my mug... it was so strong I could have stood my spoon up in it... I was suddenly wide awake and raring to go... we were soon to be on the first stretch of our holiday to Thailand... and more importantly were so many steps closer to meeting the newest addition to our family, Leelawadee... our first granddaughter... and first grandchild...

I'd already packed my case a few days previously and was nearly through with Fred's, although I've always been in the habit of leaving his case open until the very last minute as he's always wanted to add a forgotten item... zipped and locked both cases sat in the hallway... handles at the ready to be pulled out to the car... Fred had gone off to have the car cleaned, do some banking and visit his Dad, oh and have the proverbial haircut... why is it men feel they need to leave everything to the very last minute...

I cannot shout though, I had bought a new washing machine last week and the only day they could deliver it was today... so there I am keys in hand reversing Fred's car out from behind mine, letting the delivery guys park their lorry and unload my washing machine... all this and I still hadn't put the cases in the car...

I will be rewarded for all my efforts to get everything done ship shape before I leave I kept telling myself... and sure enough one of my rewards was that Fred had decided to take me to lunch, to a place I'd never been before... we drove to a lovely Chinese Restaurant on the River Lea facing City Airport... beautiful atmosphere, lovely music, and special company... I actually started to relax and got into the holiday spirit... the very next table to us was empty for most of our meal and then all of a sudden three lovely young Chinese ladies were lunching and one had brought her baby daughter with her... as she lifted the baby girl from her pushchair and tried to fix the chair with her one free hand, the little girl turned and with the biggest eyes looking over to me, gave me a toothless smile... at that moment I knew I was going to cry... all my love for my little granddaughter, that I yet had to meet, had been just waiting to spill from my heart... I couldn't hold back the tears and was smiling back at the little girl, but blubbing just the same... Fred didn't know what to do and all our napkins were soiled with food so he couldn't give me one to wipe my tears... I just kept wiping my eyes and sniffing and then started to laugh at the simple act of overwhelming love... blimey I said, if this is me now anticipating the love of my granddaughter, her smile, her smell, her skin, her excitement... what on earth will I be like on Friday morning when we land in Bangkok and I get to see her for real for the first time...

Since this lunchtime's flood of tears, I've done the same twice again... but for every time I cry I get something beautiful in return... arriving at our hotel, instead of a standard double room that I'd booked we got an Executive Suite... I'd packed my laptop away with no intention of using it at this end of my trip... but wi-fi on tap meant I could now use it... and to top it all I had a lovely conversation with my son on Skype for over half an hour...

Crying? Whose crying now? Not me... I'm smiling from ear to ear... cos this day just kept giving and giving... x x x

No comments:

Post a Comment